Thursday 8 November 2012

Reflection On Oral Presentation


“And let me just cover one more slide before I let you go” Beamed the professor. 

Quickly I glance over at the digital wall clock mounted just above where I was seated. “ 11.50”, it read.  One more slide? Doesn’t she know I have the biggest presentation of my academic semester to deliver? Perhaps I should sneak out, because if I knew what her “ one more slide” meant it would mean being really late. Quickly I glanced back to plan out my escape route, but I saw that it was no good , I  was seated too near the front and I would cause too much of a disturbance. Resigning to my fate, I sat down on my seat and waited until she released us.

Needless to say I was flustered and only arrived in class at 12.15 PM. Despite the initial rattle , the familiar faces of my classmates calmed my nerves down.  Upon seeing the excellent performance of the earlier group, I had a glimpse on how a good presentation should be like. I took note of their inflection and tone and made a concerted effort to emulate their good points.

*Flashback*

Due to our conflicting time schedule we had only managed to squeeze in one rehearsal prior to the actual presentation. However we made sure we covered good ground during the short time we had.  We collated our slides and mutually agreed upon the fonts and background. Due to the lack of time we had to practise our parts on our own. During the preparation phase I was contemplating on whether I should bring up cue cards to jolt my memory in the event that I forget. Hearing horror stories on presenters freezing up after forgetting their lines from Ka Yan most certainly didn't help. But at the same time I didn't want my cue cards to become a crutch. The thing about bringing up notes, is that there will always be the temptation to refer to them.

In the end I decided to ditch the cue cards, I convinced myself that I could always use the PowerPoint slides as a giant cue card, should the need to refer arise.

I decided to employ the "Story telling" presentation style with the intention to change mindsets on childbirth. Given the fact that the targeted audience would be mainly the school cohort; with the Provost included of course, i felt like the presentation need not be too stiff . Slides were chosen to be minimal with as few words as possible, with pictures to guide my presentation.  Initially, I was a little worried because being in engineering ,most of my presentations are centered about mathematics and science, and I had never done anything like that before.  

To pull it off, I had to craft a decent script and that took me longer than I had expected. But that wasn't even the hard part, I had to memorise the whole script!  The problem with memorizing scripts is that we tend to be robotic and regurgitate whatever we know, but it doesn't have to be the case if we remember to input our emotions , vary our tone and inflections. Often the audience won't remember what you say but they will always remember how you say it.

12.50 and it was our turn to present. Being the first speaker i felt the burden to set the mood of the whole presentation.  Thankfully things went without a hitch,(except for the glitchy handheld scroll-er that wouldn't seem to respond at times.) well until the middle of my presentation when I actually blanked out. Quickly I glanced at the screen for inspiration and thankfully it came and I was able to finish my part. 

Looking back, ample preparation was integral in carrying out a successful presentation, the many dry runs i conducted with myself gave me the confidence to present . However  there were a few things I could have improved upon. Firstly ,I could have spoken a little slower to let the message sink in with the audience, instead of rattling on and on. Secondly I could have adopted a better posture because I felt that I was slouching(after reviewing the video on IVLE).
In sum , I felt like our team had done well except for the fact that most of us were a little jumpy that day. Perhaps we let our nerves get the better of us sometimes.

Let me end off with a clip from an old movie. In this video we see the protagonist Chaplin giving a speech , if you notice really hard you can see him reading off a screen, but it doesn't matter because the way he delivers his message is really inspiring. Do watch it if you have the time.

Cheers!

12 comments:

  1. Hello Ye Chuan!

    Firstly,there was NOTHING robotic about your speech! You know, the rest of us were watching from the rear and at that point in time, I thought that your adrenaline level must have been really high.

    I remember you telling me once that you wanted to be natural and portray your self during a presentation. In my opinion , your performances during both the peer teaching and the recent formal presentation were essentially 'you'.
    It is hard for me to explain but from both your presentations, you established a certain style of presenting that is different from the others. Perhaps you can't see that on your own but I am sure the audience can. May be you feel unnatural but from my point of view, your presentations do reflect certain elements of who you are.

    On the whole, you are a confident speaker and you express your thoughts well. So good job! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bernice . I guess when you really believe in something, it shows. To be honest i do feel a tad more comfortable these days on stage, perhaps it's because I've got to know the class at a more personal level and there's nothing intimidating about that. I hope i would be able to replicate that level of performance with a different crowd.

      Delete
  2. Hey! I thought you did really well too! You really didn’t sound at all robotic to me! In fact, I believe you varied your tone quite well! At least I was ‘mesmerized’! (: Anyway, I thought your story telling approach was really something new and refreshing. It was surely a risk taken on your side, but it paid off. I guess story telling works because people don’t remember the dense details, they remember how one makes them feel - people remember stories because stories make them feel. Like what everyone says, the best speakers tell stories! I’ll have to learn to juggle between ‘content’ and ‘style’ just like you did. I thought you handled it really well! Keep it up Yechuan! Don’t stop telling those stories that you’re really good at! Perhaps someday I might even see you on tele! :D And surely, “Just because someone is smart does not mean they belong on stage” Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed Clarence, You make an excellent point. Story telling really captivates people. Remember the Tedx video that Dr Radhika encouraged us to watch? Wasn't he amazing? It isn't what you say it's how you say it.
      Television? Please that is too farfetched. ha-ha . I never liked the lime light.

      Delete
  3. Hi Yechuan!

    It was a great pity that I missed the first few minutes of your presentation because I had to answer nature's call. Thankfully I did not miss much!

    I really liked your style of delivering! One thing I learned from you is that the story telling technique works. I was captivated by your presentation. I thought you were very animated and enthusiastic, and I could follow your speech very easily.

    Maybe just a minor suggestion : just go a tiny weeny bit slower and your presentation would be just perfect (:

    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you May-ee. Honestly what kept me going was the audience . I could see that you guys were genuinely interested and that keep my level of enthusiasm high. I agree that i could have spoke slower. It would have made it more impactful.

      Delete
  4. Hello Ye Chuan! Thank you for your kind comments on my blog post. No they weren't too harsh and I do appreciate constructive feedback, especially if it's on a perspective that I have not heard before!
    I think I do get what you mean, I did realise that my presentation was not really focused on selling my idea but more of a softer presentation which was the wrong approach. I was too distracted with making sure the slides and content was okay for the whole group that I lost my focus a bit.

    After reading your blog post, and having a small recollection of your group's presentation, I am surprised that you said you blanked out in the middle of your presentation. I felt that it one of your best presentations and that I was very engaged in the story you were telling. I thought that the use of pictures was really good and that it came up to emphasize what you were saying very well. I felt that your part had used the slides to its fullest potential!

    I can still remember in your peer teaching you quoted the formula F=MA, which I thought was ingenious! Especially when in a class of scientist and engineers. I did feel however, that your slouching was less of a problem this time around as your posture was more formal than in the previous two presentations.

    And I feel that another one of your strengths is that your tone and relatability really puts me at ease. Which really pushes me, as a listener, to buy into the message/product that you are selling. Thinking back to your blog post on you CV and application letter, perhaps that was a skill you pick up during your temp job in sales!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Isabel for your comments. I think the hardest part of the presentation isn't the actual presentation itself, but coming up with the speech. I'm not a naturally confident speaker, so I do need to rely on a good script to give me the confidence I need to speak. Coming up with stories isnt hard, but meshing and weaving them into your content is . There were days I got so worried that the audience wouldn't see my point . Thankfully it was unfounded.

      Delete
  5. Ye Chuan! Oh my god, you were such an awesome speaker! I was pressed for time, and was going to just skip to my part, but I couldn’t do it! I ended re-watching your performance lol! You were so confident, driven and entertaining! You were everything but robotic! Your fear of being robotic when “reciting” your speech is thus totally groundless! Secondly, I also thought your pace was just right. I don’t think it was too quick, I think the pace reflected your enthusiasm and I caught on to every word you said. You were very clear in your punctuation so I didn’t think it was a problem. And sure you slouched a bit, but I didn’t find it distracting or unprofessional. It was just a minor issue. Just something you can work on when you have too much time lol!

    Last but not least, I have to say that I admire your bravery in not using any cue cards. Your slides were so bare; I didn’t think you could’ve used it as a cue card lol! I would feel so insecure speaking like you did.

    All in all, you were superb! Keep up the hard work! It was a joy to work with you. I hope we could hang out a bit before I go back to Hong Kong=) Do facebook/ call/ text me if you were to come to Hong Kong!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ka Yan. Haha your comments are always so animated. Thank you! on the part on using cue cards, you are pretty much like me. I don't like to use them either. My slides may be bare word wise but never underestimate the power of pictures. They can really act better than actual words to jolt those memories. " a picture paints a thousand words" is very much apt here.
      Its a pity your leaving on the 30th. But I'll take you up on the offer the next time I'll go to Hong Kong.

      Delete
  6. Yechuan!

    I loved the way you presented your part! Starting off in that narrative, story-telling style rather than a dry, tried and tested approach that would work for sure was a gamble that really paid off for you, which is extremely admirable. I could see that you had practised exactly what you were going to say, but nothing about it felt robotic at all!

    You have a very persuasive style, and are great at presenting because you know how to captivate your audience. Never lose that as it is an orator's greatest strength.

    I actually felt that you could have been a bit slower, so that you could have let the effect of your words sink in a bit more - they were that powerful!

    Keep up the good work. You're a fantastic orator!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Madhav, Indeed it was a gamble! I didn't know if the audience would be receptive or find it odd. I'm just glad most of them liked it.
      Speed of speech is still something I'm trying to grasp. I do think i speak a little fast too. But some of our classmates commented that they felt it was just right. I think different people react to different speeds and we should all just find a halfway point that we are all comfortable with.

      Delete